"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Tuesday, January 20, 2009

    Born Again?

    To add to my previous post, this website pisses me right off. This is a perfect example of how for some people, love of country is contingent upon something else, in this case the election of Barack Obama. Sounds more like "Fair-weather Americans". Now, admittedly, this site does not express itself as a supporter of Barack Obama, nor does it claim to be Democratic. Yet, the verbage and timber makes it clear, to me, that it is so aligned.

    Why should one only love their country when their party is in power? As a Republican I'm very much out of power...but I love my country nonetheless. Where were these people over the past 8 years? Did they not consider themselves American? Where will they be in 4, 8, or 12 years? Will they still consider themselves American if and when Republicans take control?

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Bryan said...

    And when Obama doesn't close Gitmo today? Or when he actually sends more troops to Afganistan? Or when that "free" healthcare comes with a loss of their job because its too expensive for their employer to pay the taxes for that free stuff?

    Well, then the rubber hits the road.

    12:16 PM  
    Blogger Ben A. Johnson said...

    part of the problem is that over the last 7 years at least, the discourse has been that if you don't support the president you aren't an american. to claim that people are only fairweather americans is a bit of misnomer when they've been systematically disenfranchised from being able to claim that label by white house discourse and rhetoric.

    2:20 PM  
    Blogger Antonio Ortega Jr said...

    I have to disagree with Mr. Johnson. Having opposing views with the White House has never made anyone not an American. The right to do so is very American. But the term "Born Again" implies that before this event you were not whatever you were just born into again. In this case being American. What exactly anyone was just that before, I don't know. I am sure many of these people were born American. At some point, perhaps because of "being systematically disenfranchised" they decided they were no longer, until Obama brought them back. I don't agree with some of our Presidents views. But no amount of rhetoric will stop me from being an American. To claim to leave and only return when my party is in power would be the very definition of a Fair Weather American.

    12:23 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home