"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Tuesday, June 24, 2008

    Economic Confirmation

    Despite my conservative viewpoint, early on in the primaries I put forth some thought into voting for one of the Democrats (I could legitimately see myself voting for Sen. Biden, and I have a lot more respect for Edwards than I do for Sens. Clinton and Obama). Part of this was my general malaise for McCains policies, part of this was my perspective that policy issues matter more for legislators than executives, and part of it was a hope that spending and government expansion would be curtailed for a little while if the Congress and White house were controlled by different parties. In other words, I wouldn't be as opposed to a Democrat in the White House if I knew that Republicans would be in congress (think 1996 Welfare reform).

    It didn't take too long to realize that Biden and Edwards didn't have a shot for President, and Republicans don't have a snowball's chance in hell to regain a majority in either chamber of congress. Its most likely that we'll have a spend-happy Democrat in the oval office, working with a Democratic congress, and government spending will be even worse that it was from 2000 to 2006. What should we expect?
    Obama has not made balanced budgets a priority. Instead, he promises numerous tax cuts likely to make the situation worse, including subsidies for education, child care, homeownership, "savers" and people who work. Obama also vows to extend the Bush tax cuts for families who earn less than $250,000 a year. According to an analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a joint project of Brookings and the Urban Institute, his tax plans would deprive the Treasury of nearly $900 billion in his first term, and increase the national debt by $3.3 trillion by 2018. ..
    "I suspect that McCain will be more constrained and will have a veto power over the Democratic Congress," said Alice M. Rivlin, who served as the first director of the Congressional Budget Office, as well as one of Clinton's budget directors. "If it's Obama, the Democratic Congress is going to be pushing for spending and it's awfully hard to rein in your own folks. No Democrat is going to want to go to war with Congress." Emphasis mine

    Hooray.

    Labels: , , ,

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home