"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Sunday, May 27, 2007

    Fred Thompson: Did I Miss Something?

    There is so much buzz about Fred Thompson and his possible 2008 run. Prior to a few months ago, I had never really heard anyone talk about him as a political figure, and knew virtually no one who was passionate about him. So, I'm curious about where all the buzz has come from. What is it about this man that has so many people so motivated?

    6 Comments:

    Anonymous GinnyD said...

    Hi, if you haven't checked out Fred Thompson you have missed out on a lot. He is a genuine conservative, a plain spoken person who knows how to communicate. He has a lot of good ideas and isn't afraid to express them.

    3:58 PM  
    Blogger The Gentle Cricket said...

    Thanks for the comment, ginnyd, and thanks for visiting. I recognize your points, but....

    Mike Huckabee also is plain-spoken, communicates well, is a genuine conservative, and has good ideas, and Huckabee has actually declared his intentions! Why is there no groundswell of support for him?

    Duncan Hunter is the hero of the anti-illegal-immigration movement, so why has he not become the darling of the 2008 race?

    To be clear, I'm not trying to downplay Fred Thompson. I'm just trying to recognize what is unique about him that makes so many people so enthusiastic.

    8:41 PM  
    Blogger Lew Waters said...

    Fred Thompson is on an even plain with Hunter, as far as conservatism goes, I feel. However, Thompson has the celebrity that Hunter doesn't have, due to movies and Television.

    Both are bona fide conservatives in my book.

    Thompson has a reputation for not only being a strong conservative, a straight shooter and very pro-America, but most of his parts (at least the ones I've seen) portray him that way as well.

    Current GOP front runners really aren't conservatives, more like moderates, in my estimation. Hunter deserves more attention, but the lamestream media doesn't want to give it.

    Thompson isn't officially in the running yet, but once he is, I imagine they will dig up anything they can, as they did with the part of a racist he played back in the 1980's.

    My preference would for both of them to be on the ticket in '08.

    11:20 PM  
    Anonymous Brandon said...

    Not to take anything away from Duncan Hunter or Mike Huckabee. They are both fine conservatives, but this is about electability. The reality is Huckabee raised $500,000.00 in Q1. He can't seem to get his name out there enough.

    Thompson has a track record, he tells it like it is, he is not afraid to be plain spoken and doesn't sound like he is being "handled" by Washington insiders.

    There is Thompson and everyone else is trying to be VP at this point!

    5:23 PM  
    Blogger Bushwack said...

    I think the hype is largely due to the lack of electable conservatives running.
    Hunter, Huckabee or Tancredo, are our only choices IMO, but they are not media darlings, or very well known by the American public.

    Fred Thompson, is known due to TV and that alone gives him a jump in voters, because most of them are educated by the squawk box.

    I don't know that he would be better than any of the rest, but if he runs he gets my vote.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    7:04 PM  
    Blogger Wickle said...

    Being a fan of Mike Huckabee myself, I'm not that excited about Thompson thinking about maybe getting into the race if he feels like it.

    "Electability" is a myth, IM(not very)HO. If people would support a candidate, that would make him electable. Huckabee only raised $500k because people threw their money at the big names, b/c they were told only the big names could win.

    Does anyone else see the problem with this?

    7:11 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home