"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Sunday, February 18, 2007

    Who leaked what now?

    The Valerie Plame leak story has been, in my opinion, the most boring, useless, deplorable story of the year. Despite the numerous lies that Joseph Wilson told, despite the twists and turns of the trial, despite the fact that no apparent laws were broken, it continues to get mainstream news coverage (though mostly from MSNBC...is that still considered "mainstream"?). Yet, despite my utter boredom of the case, Victoria Toensing's article in the Post today was very interesting, and very insightful, summarizing the many flaws in the prosecution, and many of those involved, including Joseph Wilson himself.
    On Dec. 30, 2003, the day Fitzgerald was appointed special counsel, he should have known (all he had to do was ask the CIA) that Plame was not covert, knowledge that should have stopped the investigation right there. The law prohibiting disclosure of a covert agent's identity requires that the person have a foreign assignment at the time or have had one within five years of the disclosure, that the government be taking affirmative steps to conceal the government relationship, and for the discloser to have actual knowledge of the covert status.

    From FBI interviews conducted after Oct. 1, 2003, Fitzgerald also knew that then-Deputy Secretary of State Richard L. Armitage had identified Plame as a CIA officer to columnist Robert D. Novak, who first published Plame's name on July 14, 2003.
    From my examination of the situation, the only thing that this Kangaroo court has determined is that Wilson is a bit of a liar (though many take his lies as proof that Bush lied), and that Patrick Fitzgerald needs a hobby other than attacking conservatives.

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Jimmy K. said...

    You need to post more stuff. I like to read your commentary.

    7:42 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home