"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Sunday, February 04, 2007

    Who Cares about Gavin Newsom?

    Within the Bay Area the recent scandal involving Gavin Newsom has been receiving a lot of attention from the media. For those of you who don't know, Newsom - the mayor of San Francisco - had been having an affair with his campaign manager's wife for over a year. It was the headline story on many daily papers, has been on the evening news, and provided fodder for local conservative talk radio. Quite frankly, I was bored with it before it began.

    As an elected official, I disagree with most of what Newsom proposes (though not all). I would not be likely to vote for him anyway when he is up for re-election in November. However, his personal ethics (or lack thereof) don't necessarily influence his professional ethics. If this had been a situation of the mayor laundering funds, things would be different. How, then, could we trust him with our money? Yet, it's not. Furthermore, there a probably many doctors, grocers, bankers, etc... out there who have done immoral things, but we still give them our business. Why? Because most of their personal choices don't affect their professional decisions.

    I may not like Gavin Newsom's politics, but I don't care at all about his personal flings.

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Jimmy K. said...

    Lets see now, you can have different ethics, depending on the situation?
    Hmmmmm.....

    7:01 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home