"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Sunday, February 11, 2007

    Obama and Racial Politics

    I typically try to avoid race politics, but some occassions require comment. It angers me when people assume I am a racist simply because I am a Republican. Unfortunately, Republicans have been stereotyped as bigots. It's nothing new, but many Democrats abuse the stereotype, pandering to minorities for votes (despite supporting policies that hinder minorities). Thus, I was very upset to hear Senator, and Presidential hopeful Barack Obama's comments on race and voting while in New Hampshire. According to The Telegraph, Sen. Obama is quoted as saying:
    Later, he downplayed votes could be cast against him due to the color of his skin.

    “Are some voters not going to vote for me because I’m African-American? Those are the same voters who probably wouldn’t vote for me because of my politics,” he said.
    The undertone is that those who disagree with his politics are typically racists. It is a subtle hint that he believes Republicans to be racist. Suffice it to say that I have plenty of reasons not to vote for him, and none of them are the color of his skin. Rather, it is the quality of his politics (highly pro-aborition, supports a minimum wage increase, will push for Socialized health care, cut-and-run in Iraq, etc...).

    Putting aside the facts that the Republicans freed the slaves, passed the Civil Rights act (over a democratic filibuster), and more recently gave us both the first two African-American Secretaries of state and the first Hispanic Attorney General, The youthful Senator is somewhat confused. It's far more likely that Howard Dean, Hillary Clinton, Robert Byrd, and Joseph Biden would support his politics than would George Bush, John McCain, or the typical Republican, yet recall the many racially insensitive comments made by Dean, Clinton and Biden...and consider that Senator Byrd was a high-ranking Klansmen!

    Furthermore, consider the case of so-called "white-flight", the phenomenon of whites voting for the opposing party when their candidate is black. Contradictory to what Sen. Obama may want you to think, Democrats are more likely to not vote for a candidate because he or she is black. The stereotype of the racist Republican is not only inaccurate, if anything it is Democrats that tend to be racist.

    Lastly, consider the following. Before entering politcs Obama stated

    he and a black friend would sometimes speak disparagingly “about white folks this or white folks that, and I would suddenly remember my mother's smile, and the words that I spoke would seem awkward and false.”

    As a result, he concluded that “certain whites could be excluded from the general category of our distrust."


    Yet, in his second memoir (after entering politics), his feelings seemed to have changed, stating that “I’ve never had the option of restricting my loyalties on the basis of race, or measuring my worth on the basis of tribe," contradicting much of his original memoir.

    If Senator Obama doesn't want race to influence his race, I would suggest he not make it such a large part of his identity, his politics, and his rhetoric.


    Cross Posted at and 123Beta

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Jimmy K. said...

    He is just another power hungry politician pandering to the base of his party. Do we know what the ethnic breakdown is in the Democrats party?

    6:05 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home