"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Wednesday, January 24, 2007

    Minimum wage opposition

    The recent House of Representatives blunder of increasing the minimum wage has fortunately hit an obstacle in the Senate. I'm happy to say that the opposition is not only from Republicans, but significantly from Democrats such as Harry Reid (D-NV). Despite passing easily in the house, as one of the "first 100 hours" initiatives that Democrats promised, Senate Democrats are refusing to pass it without an accompanying tax break for those who employ low-wage workers.

    While I'm glad that this bill is currently in trouble, I think it is for the wrong reason. The minimum wage is the worst thing for the poor, according to Milton Friedman. It promotes inflation, which negates itself and hurts those earning more than the minimum wage. I think other initiatives would provide a more sound benefit, such as employer credits for each new employee over the next 5 years (which would promote the creation of new jobs), or simply instituting a tax break without meddling with the minimum wage...Allow the free-market and the invisible hand to set the wage, not bureaucrats in Washinton.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home