"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Wednesday, December 06, 2006

    Newt on Free Elections

    I'm on a bit of a Newt Gingrich kick lately, but yesterday I came across this article via The Only Republican in San Francisco, which piqued my interest in the former Speaker of the House. Gingrich criticizes the McCain-Feingold campaign finance reform, arguing instead, that contributions should not be limited, provided they are transparent (he specifically suggests a 24 hour limit for making the records public).
    Just as tax lawyers always succeed in out-thinking the (Internal Revenue Service) because they stay after five and the IRS goes home, the private-sector lawyers will always out-think the (Federal Election Commission) because they stay after five and the FEC goes home
    I agree with Newt, but this is only one of the reasons why I disagree with McCain-Feingold. As I have discussed before, Campaign contributions represent a form of free expression, the ability to express your support through financial means, and limits on contributions are a limit on that freedom.

    Furthermore, restricting donations gives disproportionate support to non-mainstream candidates, those with unpopular platforms. "Candidates with a more appealing message are able to obtain proportionally greater levels of financial support", thus, a "free-market" system is only fair.

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Debbie said...

    I like Newt but I'm not sure he can get elected. I'm not for McCain, but everyone is pushing him as the front runner for the Republicans. It seems politics today are ... weird. It's not the best man/woman for the job who gets elected. It seems Americans pic a candidate simply because he can beat the opposing party's candidate. That's a sad state of affairs if you ask me.

    7:34 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You mentioned that you were one of a few Republicans in your area. Who is the other one? :)

    5:45 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home