"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Friday, November 24, 2006

    More Newt

    While driving through Missouri on Thanksgiving, on my way to my in-laws home, I happened to catch a 'best-of Sean Hannity' show on talk radio. I don't normally listen to Hannity, but I stayed tuned because he was talking to Newt Gingrich. Newt had some interesting things to say, among them some comments about the stepping-down of Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld. When asked for his thoughts on the matter, he stated his respect for Secretary Rumsfeld, but then discussed the poor timing on the part of President Bush. According to the former Speaker, if decision to let Rumsfeld go was so imminent, why wait until the day after the election to announce it? This amounts to nothing more than conceding defeat to the Democrats. Instead, as Mr. Gingrich put it, had the announcement been made a week before the election, it may have swayed enough votes to maintain a Republican majority in the Senate, and perhaps a few House seats as well.

    While there were many serious issues influencing this election, the war in Iraq is certainly one of the top issues facing voters. Secretary Rumsfeld has been under increasing scrutiny for the war, and has taken the heat for a lot of the negative aspects of the war, including many which were beyond his control or oversight. Likewise, many voters were likely dissuaded from voting Republican, hoping for atleast a change of direction. Thus, had President Bush been willing to change direction before the election--as opposed to only hours afterwards--he may have had an easier time come the next two years.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home