"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Saturday, July 01, 2006

    SB840: The Real Cost of "Free" Health Care

    On April 2, 2006 I posted a little something about SB840, speculating that SB840 would lead to a dramatic decrease in the quality of health care, a decline in investment in Medical Technology, and a decline in the number of Doctors. Previously I had mentioned the horrible delays in receiving treatment.

    This week, a report was released by The National Center for Policy Analysis regarding the ramifications of SB840, the Single-Payer-Health Care Bill. Interestingly, the NCPA and the Pacific Research Institute had the following conclusions:
    According to the author John R. Graham, the 4 percent savings in current health spending that would result from a government-run health care system is a trifling sum when one considers the consequences of such a program:

    * The number of physicians would drop by 23,000, from about 94,000 to 71,000.
    * Californians would suffer lengthy waiting times for medical treatment -- time worth about $1 billion annually.
    * About $9 billion dollars of "free" health care would be wasted by people who did not need it.
    * Access to medical technology would be significantly diminished.
    I'm not surprised in the least. The only thing that seems to be missing is the fact that Taxes would soar.

    SB840 has noble and decent goals, but is unrealistic and dangerous; much like communism. Yet, supporters of socialized medicine seem to think that, even though it has failed elsewhere, it will work this time. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. SB840 would be disastrous for California, and I, for one, hope it does not pass the Legislature.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger prying1 said...

    Sounds like a good time to get "Eternal Life Insurance"

    Those interested can simply apply through the "Romans Road" application form found through most search engines...

    Looks like there is going to be quite a few getting health care too late for curing so they had better be prepared to "cross the river"...

    6:10 PM  
    Blogger T.L. Stanley said...

    GC, you say, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. SB840 would be disastrous for California, and I, for one, hope it does not pass the Legislature."

    You said it all. I agree. Take care.

    2:39 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home