"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Monday, May 15, 2006

    A new Friendship Between Lybia and the West

    Tonight President Bush delivered a ho-hum speech on the issue of illegal immigration. While this remains the issue du jour, I have personally tired of it. For me, the most interesting and pleasing news of the day was that the US and Britain have reached a peaceful agreement with Lybia, a country that has long harbored and supported terrorism.
    The result, Mr. Bush and Blair said, was that Libya agreed to disclose all its weapons of mass destruction and related programs and to open the North African country to international weapons inspectors to oversee their elimination.

    Libya's most significant acknowledgment was that it had a program intended to enrich uranium for use in nuclear weapons, a senior Bush administration official said.
    Apparently, the extent of the Lybian nuclear program was more advanced than had previously been thought, and that Lybia was close to developing these weapons.

    Furthermore, Muammar Qaddafi has vouched to take a stand against terrorism. This news represents just one of the successes that President Bush has had in the global war on terror. Under President Bush, countries that have previously harbored and/or supported terrorism - such as Afghanistan, Pakistan, and now Lybia - have made dramatic changes to shun terrorism. I remain optimistc that Iraq will soon follow.

    In light of the recent tensions between the US and Iran, this news should be considered very beneficial. It should serve to provide an example to Iran that cooperation is in everyone's best interests. This is a sentiment President Bush expressed, saying
    "I hope that other leaders will find an example in Libya's announcement today. When leaders make the wise and responsible choice ... they serve the interest of their own people and they add to the security of all nations.

    While President Bush' speech on immigration may be leading cable news and covering the headlines, this much more important story is going somewhat unnoticed.

    Cross Posted at 123beta

    2 Comments:

    Blogger prying1 said...

    Whew! Good news indeed. - I had a feeling a couple years back that Kadafi was not stupid. He knew we could take him out and would do so. It may be that he has enough people praying FOR as opposed to against him that he won't end up like pharaoh of Moses time.

    I'm off to link to your post.

    9:29 PM  
    Blogger The Gentle Cricket said...

    Thanks, Paul. This is certainly not to say that Lybia does not still pose any threat (as I'm sure you know). But, it is a small victory with large consequences.

    10:21 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home