"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Wednesday, May 24, 2006

    Culture of Corruption? Republicans do the right thing.

    The day Tom DeLay resigned was probably the greatest day Democrats had seen this year...or the past 5 1/2 years. It was the day that a powerful Republican lost his power. Furthermore, this Republican was embroiled in a scandal, and an indictment (albeit by a prosecutor who was clearly out to get him). The scandal was embraced by Democrats, who claimed that this was representative of all republicans, claiming it was 'a systematic culture of corruption.' His case was closed (and remains closed) by Democrats.

    Not long after, a Republican congressman, Duke Cunningham, was found to have accepted vast amounts of bribes. Democrats rejoiced in his downfall.

    Yet, now, it seems that the tables have turned. Democratic Representative William J. Jefferson is now being charged of bribery, with video evidence as well as being caught with $90,000 in his freezer. The evidence seems pretty clear, but now Democrats are demanding that noone dare claim he is guilty until after any sort of investigation and trial. Oh, the hypocrisy.

    With these serious charges against Jefferson, are Republicans dancing in the streets? No, they are concerned about his rights being violated. They are concerned about the method in which the FBI searched Representative Jefferson's office. Bill Frist, the Senate Majority leader said he 'had concerns about the constitutionality of the search and was seeking a legal opinion.' This is quite a contrast to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's statements regarding Tom DeLay, "Mr. DeLay's departure from Congress is one piece of the changes needed to end the Republican culture of corruption."

    I am so enthused by the mature response that is being made by Republicans. They have not jumped to any conclusions, and despite the slander that has been slung at them by many Democrats, they remain logical and concerned about real issues. They are taking the high road, and reaffirming my choice to be a member of the Grand Ole' Party.

    6 Comments:

    Blogger T.L. Stanley said...

    Good post. Why can't the Democrats show some class. Oh, I almost forgot. They are Democrats. Take care.

    8:48 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great piece of satire. Or should I say-You have got to be kidding. I mean, who would think that the Republicans are just doing a little bit of prepaid CYA? ME-that's who. Who am I? Another disappointed Republican.

    2:45 PM  
    Blogger AubreyJ said...

    Amen GC...
    AubreyJ.........

    4:20 PM  
    Blogger Ben A. Johnson said...

    I think you're ignoring a crucial issue of power here. Republicans don't need to make a big stink of it because they're in power, and what do they care if a Democrat is in trouble? Further, when Republicans gained control of the house they did so running on a platform that the Democrats were all corrupt. It's the same story just with different parties.

    The question should be, with both parties living in glass houses, ought either to be throwing stones?

    11:37 AM  
    Blogger Ben A. Johnson said...

    PS: Call me. I'm not sure when you're available anymore. I have Verizon, so if you do too, you can call any time.

    11:38 AM  
    Blogger The Gentle Cricket said...

    Hey Ben, good talking to you! I agree that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I'm in no way defending Duke Cunningham, Abramoff, or potentially DeLay. However, the Republicans could have EASILY come out and used this to defend the 'culture of corruption' attacks (slander?), but didn't. They took the high road, and I'm proud of that.

    12:32 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home