"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Tuesday, March 28, 2006

    What are we going to do with Iraq?

    The Columbia Critic, the left-leaning blog of one of my friends, Brian Wagner, has a great post entitled "What are we going to do with Iraq?" Although a bit lengthy, the article addresses several interesting issues with a moderate, logical tone that avoids partisan influence.
    For three years we have critiqued the Iraq invasion for insufficient intelligence of a threat and the non-existence of WMDs...It seems however with this recent revelation by General Sada that soon the left and the right will be on the same page. We on the left will still not understand why we shifted from Afghanistan to Iraq, but we will acknowledge the threat Saddam posed with WMDs

    It is refreshing to see someone who has spoken out against the war recognize evidence that contradicts his argument. It is something that we do not see enough of on either side of the debate over the War in Iraq.

    I, for one, probably would not have supported the invasion had I known what we know now. However, even "what we know now" is an unsettled subject, full of faulty intelligence, with weighty evidence for both sides. We have accounts by John Shaw and George Sada, as well as Iraqi documents that seem to show the existence/intent to develop WMD's. However, the fact remains that no WMD's have been found, and there are other Iraqi documents that provide evidence that Saddam had lied to his military about Iraq having any WMD's.

    There are a lot of issues that I do not agree with President Bush on. There are a lot of issues that I support him on. The war lies somewhere in between for me. However, Wang at The Columbia Critic aptly covers it all..."The million dollar question is how we proceed with the 'War on Terror'"

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Butch said...

    However, even "what we know now" is an unsettled subject, full of faulty intelligence, with weighty evidence for both sides. We have accounts by John Shaw and George Sada, as well as Iraqi documents that seem to show the existence/intent to develop WMD's. However, the fact remains that no WMD's have been found, and there are other Iraqi documents that provide evidence that Saddam had lied to his military about Iraq having any WMD's.

    I'm going to wait until more documents have been translated. I honestly believe the Russians moved the WMD's. We'll see...

    4:43 PM  
    Blogger AubreyJ said...

    I still think this question puts things into light as to what we are facing...

    If we had not gone to war with Iraq, what would the war on terror look like now, at this moment on this day???

    I’ll give you a quick look at what I think. Everything would be the same except instead of all this hell going on in Iraq, it would all be back in Afghanistan and much, much worse. With or without Iraq in the mix... these crazies were coming after us no matter where we fought this war.
    AubreyJ.........

    11:55 AM  
    Blogger Wang said...

    i'm glad you liked the piece. i think it's pride that makes people on both sides of the argument unwilling to make any concessions. That unwillingness really stifles what we are trying to do, fix things.

    I usually post on www.columbia.edu/~sfw2003/journal if you like what you've read.

    Stephen

    10:08 AM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home