"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Thursday, March 23, 2006

    ...Spoke too soon

    Alright, in my last post I said I had nothing I felt compelled to blog about. I spoke too soon. Soon after posting I read this, Hillary Clinton saying, in regards the Rep. Sensenbrenner's border security bill, "This bill would literally criminalize the Good Samaritan and probably even Jesus himself." WHAT? Does Hillary, the senator from New York (which is 2000 miles from Mexico, according to mapquest) actually believe that building a fence along the border would criminalize Jesus Christ?

    Illegal immigration is a huge problem in the US, and one that few people are taking seriously. President Bush' non-amnesty amnesty proposal is a slap in the face to those who are attempting to protect our country from drugs, crime, dire economic effects (diluting the labor pool, decreasing wages, and exporting money), and a potential invasion, and Hillary's comments seem to highlight her disregard for our countries security, and/or her lack of understanding of the issue.

    So, does Hillary actually believe that the Sensenbrenner Bill would criminalize Jesus Christ? The answer must be no. See, Hillary's comment does not refer to Jesus as in Jesus Christ, the lord and savior. No, Hillary must have meant Jesus the common Hispanic name. In that case, yes. Hillary is correct. The Sensenbrenner bill would make illegal-alien-rapist-burglars like Jesus Del Carmen Gomez-Rodriguez a felon. And for that, I support the Sensenbrenner Bill.

    1 Comments:

    Anonymous Matt S said...

    Hey there GC, the funny thing about Hillary is that she is trying to criminalize illegality. She's also trying to polish some creds with Christians, whom I can't imagine believe her.

    Be careful about assuming that the economic effects of immigration are bad. "Diluting the labor pool" with folks willing to work for less $$ is no different than buying cheaper products from China. It's not a net loss, so long as it's voluntary on both sides.

    That said, *illegal* immigration does have social costs, as it strains civic resources without the equivalent civic responsibilities.

    Most immigrants have exactly the qualities we should be encouraging -- self-determination, willingness to pursue economic betterment. No easy answer of course, but let's fight the illegal, not the immigrant.

    10:12 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home