"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Tuesday, February 07, 2006

    RIP: Coretta Scott King

    I'm watching the funeral of Coretta Scott King, and I'm watching a eulogy right now, in which the speaker, Rev. Joe Lawry said "we know there were no WMD's over there" followed by a great round of applause, the camera panning over Hillary Clinton et. al. Then, the speaker said "But there are Weapons of of MisDirection over here", again followed by applause.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the speaker is, of course, allowed to say or think what he will. But I find it upsetting that he has chosen this time to voice his opinions. He has chosen this moment to make statements about the War in Iraq. He has chosen to use the time allotted to him to remember a great civil rights leader in order to make an irrelevent statement. This comes in the wake of Mayor Nagin and Hillary Clinton making racially charged statements pandering to blacks on MLK Jr. Day. I find this trend upsetting. I hope everyone remembers Mrs. King, for what she did...not for what Joe Lawry said.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger The Gentle Cricket said...

    As I continue to watch, this looks more and more like a roast.

    11:40 AM  
    Blogger Faithful Progressive said...

    Martin Luther King on what he'd like said at his own funeral:

    ....Every now and then I think about my own death, and I think about my own funeral. And I don't think of it in a morbid sense. Every now and then I ask myself, "What is it that I would want said?" And I leave the word to you this morning....

    I'd like somebody to mention that day, that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others. I'd like for somebody to say that day, that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody. I want you to say that day, that I tried to be right on the war question. I want you to be able to say that day, that I did try, in my life, to clothe those who were naked. I want you to say, on that day, that I did try, in my life, to visit those who were in prison. I want you to say that I tried to love and serve humanity.

    Yes, if you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice; say that I was a drum major for peace; I was a drum major for righteousness.

    Seems like Rev Lowery got it right to me. Thank God someone will still speak truth to power--I suspect Coretta would have been pleased!

    FP

    8:19 PM  
    Blogger The Gentle Cricket said...

    You're obviously single. Otherwise you would recognize that quoting a husband says NOTHING about the opinions of that man's wife.

    Perhaps it's an honest mistake, but the quote provided has ommitted parts of the full quote, notably that he didn't want his own funeral to be full of long eulogies. The quote is furthermore out of context, considering the comments made by Lowery and President Carter were hardly about the civil rights movement. While 'looking to the color of the faces in Louisiana' certainly references an apparant civil rights deficit, noone can faithfully doubt that Carter's comments were politically motivated.

    "Someone will speak the truth to power"? Someone? Liberals are all too eager to voice their dissent. The question is not about their right to do so, but their choice of locale.

    Perhaps we have to agree to disagree, but I appreciate your opinion.

    6:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home