"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Tuesday, February 07, 2006

    More Iran Rhetoric? No.

    As if Iran wasn't abrasive enough, and as if the Muslim riots over the recent cartoon depicting Mohammed with a bomb in his turban (do these riots strike you as incredibly ironic, considering the statement of the cartoon?) had any merit, Iran's largest newspaper has now decided to put forth a contest for Holocaust cartoons. I will concede that the Mohammed cartoon can easily be construed as offensive (despite the truth in it), the idea to issue holocaust cartoons are...well, stupid. Unlike the Muslims who are so consumed with rage...I mean peace... as they murder and pillage, the rest of the civilized world recognizes the value of free speech, and understands that while this speech may, at times, be offensive - just like cartoons about the holocaust may be - it is rarely something to go up in arms about. Furthermore, this act only strengthens the rest of the worlds understanding of the threat that Iran poses to the world, with Israel in particular.

    Iran's President has already stated both that Israel should be destroyed, and also that he doesn't believe the Holocause ever happened. As his country continues to get bolder and more aggressive in their anti-semitic stance, I hope the rest of the world (including Iran's oil-purchasing countries) take the threat seriously. I am certainly not an expert in foreign relations or Islamic studies...but it does not take one to recognize that this is not merely rhetoric. Iran is a real threat, and should be seen that way.

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Ben A. Johnson said...

    This post has me both agreeing and disagreeing with you at the same time. And I'm not sure how to say that I do either.

    Also, I think you should write less about politics, more about Flynn.

    But maybe that's just me.

    4:01 PM  
    Blogger Ben A. Johnson said...

    PS: you should turn on "word verification." You haven't been spammed in comments yet, but it's only a matter of itme.

    4:02 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home