"I wish they would only take me as I am" - Vincent Van Gogh               "How Can I believe in God when just last week I got my tounge caught in the roller of an electric typewriter?" - Woody Allen              "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake" - Henry David Thoreau              "I took a speed reading course and read 'War and Peace' in twenty minutes. It involves Russia" - Woody Allen            "When promulgating esoteric cogitations, eschew platitudinous ponderosities" - Mark Rowan, my father            "Up, sluggard, and waste not life, for in the grave there will be sleep enough" - Benjamin Franklin             "What really interests me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the world." - Albert Einstein            "Welfare's purpose should be to eliminate, as far as possible, the need for its own existence" - Ronald Reagan            "It's odd that you can get so anesthetized by your own pain or your own problem that you don't quite fully share the hell of someone close to you." - Lady Bird Johnson              "I still want to be the candidate for guys with confederate flags in their pickup truck" - Howard Dean

e-mail me

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cleveland, Ohio, United States

Graduate of the University of Oregon, Married for 4-1/2 years to my High School sweetheart. I am currently residing in Cleveland while I attend med school.

  • John McCain
    • Read what I feed

    Powered by Blogger

    Wednesday, February 08, 2006

    Coretta and Katrina

    There were several comments made during Coretta Scott King's funeral on Tuesday that made reference to the racial divide in this country, as "demonstrated" by the response to Hurricane Katrina. President Carter said that
    "We only have to recall the color of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi who are most devastated by Katrina to know that there are not yet equal opportunities for all Americans,"
    Carter, one of the worst Presidents of the past century, failed to equate the slow response to that after hurricane Andrew, while (impeached) President Clinton was in office. I agree that responses could be made faster, but to make claims that the slow response is somehow racially motivated is simply pandering. There were many things that went wrong in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The biggest, as I see it, was not FEMA's slow response or bumbling director. Rather, it was the local governments failure to do ANYTHING for themselves and their people. Nagin failed to implement the evacuation, Blanco refused help from the red cross and national guard. Whatever the errors may be, I don't see why any of them should be considered racially motivated; after all, whites died at a higher rate than blacks.

    In my personal opinion, the reason that so many people in the area were poverty stricken was not because America has refused them the opportunity. It is a result of years of handouts, and continued legislation that encourages this. Some of those who support these handouts are the same that made the crude remarks at the funeral. They support 'more for the poor', which is precisely what has kept them poor - a welfare state.

    To be fair, I think that the billions in relief promised by President Bush (despite the criticism that Lowery laid) will perpetuate a system that rewards those on welfare, and discourages ambition. Without handouts, private enterprise (the greatest source of opportunity) would create jobs, and Nawlins would flourish. Yet these handouts of trailers, etc.. will lead to precisely the welfare state we had before.

    With all the hype about Lowery and Carter, it should be noted that former Presidents Clinton and Bush delivered great eulogies, and President Bush (43) and first lady Laura Bush showed great class while being unduly villified by those hypocrites before them.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Travis said...

    I agree that the Bush's did a very nice job. Laura is always wonderful, period. I also really appreciate Bush I's humour when he joked about losing a page of his speech. He happens to be one of my favorite presidents, who was unduly vilified by the most conservative of his own party during his re-election campaign.

    However, I also appreciate the comments of Carter and Lowery, and do not find such comments hipocritical in any way. I bet 25 years after Bush II has left office, he will, like Carter, in retrospect recognize some of his governments shortcomings....it happens to all. Even the ones we wouldn't have voted for.

    Yet, the main reason I appreciate Lowery and Carter's comments, were because they reflected the life and work of Coretta Scott King - and they were words from two people who knew her very well. I trust their words of Coretta Scott King more than Kate O'Beirne, Michelle Malkin, or Sean Hannity.

    I can only hope those I know, speak as wonderfully about my lifes work after I pass.

    5:14 AM  
    Blogger The Gentle Cricket said...

    Thanks for your opinion.

    1:22 PM  
    Blogger prying1 said...

    Very little mention is made of the Vietnamese shoreline community that was hard hit by Katrina. Isn't it racist to ignore them and their troubles?

    3:51 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Trackbacks

    Links to this post:

    Create a Link

    << Home